Tuesday, March 15, 2011


So I have definately been MIA for awhile. Actually to me the last 10 days have been a blur and have passed so quickly. Time flies, when you are down and out I guess.

I had surgery early in the morning last Tuesday... and so did my mother. I was on one side of the surgical center and she was on the other. We kept my Dad busy going from room to room, but he made us both feel very safe, secure and definately had a calming effect on my anxiety level.I am not going to go into the details of my surgery or why I opted for the surgery over some other possible procedures. I will say the surgery was successful, and I felt great afterward.

I stayed one night in the Womens Center at LRH. One of the highlights of my stay was that my IV went bad after 12 hours. The Nursing Supervisor was called in to start a new one. After 4 needle sticks into very very tiny veins and a call to my Dr. to find out if I really needed an IV still, of course he said YES, she came back in and gave it one more "college' try.She finally got it started in the tinest vein ever. OUCH! In the morning I was begging my Dr. to let me go home by nine. Who doesn't prefer their own bed over a hospital one. It was fun to get to see all the new babies being pushed around in their little beds by the their mothers, who were all doing that "new mom" walk. You all know what that looks, right?

I was doing well, enough to get all dolled up and out to a family gathering (which will be in an upcoming post) the day I was released.So glad I was able to make that one! Thursday night my little bug, Tayten came for a visit and he was the best medicine EVER! On Friday around noon I woke up from a nap with a fever of 101.2 and immediately called my Dr. Of course, he said come right in, this isn't normal at all. When it comes to medical things, I never do anything that is normal. If there is a complication, I'm going to have it. He took one look at me and told me to go to the ER, for a CT scan, IV and he would be admitting me through the ER. Looked like I was spending more time in LRH.

After about 6 hours, several tests, IV fluids and some of the strongest anitbiotics known to man, I once again was begging them to let me go home, remember I really like my bed so much more. We came to a compromise. I would stay one more hour for another dose of the "strong stuff" and go home with the IV in my hand for further treatment the next day.I agreed if the fever was not gone, or I felt like I had not turned the corner I would go back to the ER in the morning. Either way I was to go back to 1- have more meds, or 2- to have them remove the IV.

Saturday morning I felt a tiny bit better and was not having any fever. I hung around at home all day on Saturday, laying low, watching some really cute movies that are out, and watching Tayten just be his cute little self. Andy and Al came over that night and the IV had started to ache, which I knew meant my "tiny tiny" vein that they had threaded it into was going bad. So I unwrapped and untaped the IV, had Nurse Alyson pull it out and Andy immediately applied the pressure! IV out!
I have done a lot of nothing, resting and TV/movie watching which is exactly what the Dr. told me to do. I finally feel today that I am headed down the road to recovery but now I understand why they say this is a 3-8 week recovery time and put such limitations on what you are able to do on a daily basis. I am so glad to have this behind me. Maybe 2011 will be a good year after all.

1 comment:

Veronica Tyler said...

Yuck yuck yuck- but, I hope it does help you feel better, for a long long time! Hope your mom is doing okay too :)